Internet marketing is not easy. Even though I have spent 20 years learning about the processes and mastering the best practices, I still spend 90 minutes each day reading and studying the latest in the online world; it moves that fast!
You can’t be expected to keep up, but knowing what not to do can help more than you think.
Here are 5 of the most common Internet marketing errors I see lawyers make.
1) Not Registering a Domain Name Properly – This sounds so simple but it is a very common error. If your website is www.billslaw.com, then make sure you are the one that owns and registered your own name. If you didn’t go through the proper channels to register your name, then register it as soon as possible because this will only cause you more trouble later.While registering, you should also consider other domain variations such as billslaw.net or billlaw.com. Be sure to also register your name with another extension such as .com, .net, .lawyer, and .attorney . Trust me this could really cost you later.
2) Hiring a Box Store SEO and Web Design Firm – Firms like FindLaw, LexisNexis, Justia, and so on sell one-size-fits-all products that never lead to long term benefits. I’m not saying you should hire someone out of a basement, but working with a reputable and experienced marketing firm that provides a custom personalized service will benefit you in the long run. Also make sure your marketing firm limits the number of attorneys in your area it does business with, they should not compete with themselves.
3) Not Using Google Plus – Google is the biggest player online, and gives every business a robust tool to help market them locally—but you have to use it. Own this, and let your marketing firm manage it. This Google Business tool has several pieces and all can help you.
4) Not Taking Marketing Meetings – As a fellow business owner, I get it: Time is always an issue, but making time to meet with marketing companies for 30 minutes once per month can make all the difference. Why? Because they can teach you things and most will supply a list of “issues” with your current marketing you can bring to your current company to keep them on their toes.
5) Not Asking for Reports. This is the biggest mistakes lawyers make with their marketing. In today’s world, it’s all about data. Your marketing firm should be able to tell you how many calls, emails, and connections your digital marketing produces each month. If you don’t know these numbers, shame on you.
In closing, working on your marketing must be an ongoing, continuous process in order for it to work. Taking small steps now will help you leap forward in the long run.
If you want to learn more about how a professional marketing firm can really help you, give us a call with any questions. We are happy to help.